|Nirvana Ponies by Country|
- 1 Generation 1
- 1.1 Takara
- 1.1.1 Confirmed Takara
- 1.1.2 Hair Designer
- 1.1.3 Oshare Pony
- 1.1.4 Pony Kisekae Dress
- 1.1.5 Ochame Fashion
- 1.1.6 Pony Style House
- 1.1.7 Dress Up House
- 1.1.8 Dream Capsule
- 1.1.9 Accessory Set
- 1.1.10 Plush
- 1.1.11 The Land of Close Friends
- 1.1.12 Kawaii Pony or Lili and Popo
- 1.1 Takara
- 2 Generation 2
In the 1980s Hasbro had a give and take relationship with the Japanese toy company Takara (now called Takara Tomy). Takara licensed Transformers to Hasbro. Hasbro licensed Takara "My Little Pony". In 1985 the Japan exclusive the toy line "Mai Ritoru Ponii - Osharena Ponii" or "My Little Pony - Stylish Pony" debuted. The toys were marketed as poseable dolls that you could dress up and style their hair. There are 4 main characters, and at least 11 different outfits that could be purchased separately.
The information on this page about the Takara line is as described by the packaging and catalog pages. Since only some of the toys are known by collectors to definitely exist, it is very likely that much of it never made it past the prototype stage. Toys confirmed to exist are laid out in a chart below. The lack of a network of thrift stores such as those that exist in the US is one of many possible reasons for why so few of the toys have been found by modern collectors.
Also, of the few items found, there has been variance between two pieces of pony wear apparently meant to be the same item. There is no telling what kind of color/pattern/accessory variance is possible with these toys.
- The main characters are twin sisters Pinky and Milky and their younger twin sisters Lily and Popo.
- There are four additional Ochame Fashion friends who are the same size as Pinky and Milky.
- There are 10 additional animal twins sets that are the same size as Lily and Popo.
- Takara Translations -ongoing translations of all Takara media
- Japanese Takara My Little Pony Commercial
- ID Fake vs real Takara babies
- MIB detail photos
- various pony wear photos
- Woosie's Takara Info (originally here http://members.aol.com/brandiwst/index.html), was a site I saw referenced to many times for Takara pony details. However I guess it was taken down about four years ago. But thanks to my favorite time travel device, The Way Back Machine, I have resurrected the info (minus the pix) and put it up here. Beware I didn't edit it really, so there are weird links and broken jpegs everywhere.
Before you get too excited, only about 1/4 of the toys from the catalog have been confirmed to have actually been produced.
And only a handful total have been found. So, you cannot expect to be able to collect these at all.
Hair Designer - Milky
Lily and Popo Carriage Playset
|Maybe? A really good MIB fakie has been sighted.|
Lily and Popo Bathtub Playset
Dress Up House Playset or "omekashi house"
|comes only with Popo?|
Ochame Fashion Curly-Hair Doll or "kurukuru-hair"
Ochame Fashion Fluffy-Hair Doll or "fuwafuwa-hair"
|She is often mistaken for Pinky|
Ochame Fashion Silky-Hair Doll or "sarasara-hair"
There were two releases of "Hair Designer", one each with Pinky and Milky. The set came with a variety of hair styling accessories.
- Oshare Pony Pinky -at least three releases
- Regular -purple dress with small hearts on it with a yellow tie.
- Regular -yellow dress
- Osharena Pony Color Wedding
- Oshare Pony Milky -at least three releases
- Regular -pink dress with a white lace hem and a light yellow bow at the neck
- Regular -light pink and white checkered dress
- Osharena Pony Color Wedding
Stylish Pony Color Wedding
Pony Kisekae Dress
"osharena ponii no kisekae doresu" or "Stylish Pony Doll Clothes Dress"
- There were at least 11 different outfits that could be purchased separately for the dolls 1
- The single outfit sets came with a dress, a necklace and two plastic bow shaped decorative hair picks/combs (one yellow and one pink).
- Kisekae Dress -clothing sets for the adult sized dolls
- single clothing set - at least 10
- double clothing set - at least one
Stylish Pony Color Wedding Pony Doll Clothes Dress
- Aside from Pinky and Milky there were also four adult sized "ochame fashion" dolls sold separately. Ochame translates as playful or mischevious.
- -"kurukuru-hair" or "curly hair": pale green body with teal hair
- -"sarasara-hair" or "silky hair": very pale body with yellow hair
- -"amiami-hair" or "braided hair": pale blue body with blue hair
- -"fuwafuwa-hair" or "fluffy hair": pale pink body with darker pink hair
Pony Style House
Dress Up House
- "omekashi hausu" or "literally dressing up house"
- images from old yahoo.co.jp auctions
The Land of Close Friends
- Animal Friend Twins
- same scale as Lily and Popo
- 10 different sets
Kawaii Pony or Lili and Popo
- Kawaii Ponii or Cute Pony are the younger twin sisters of Pinky and Milky.
- Only two kawaii (or baby) ponies were made, Riri/Lili/Lily (pink with purple hair) and Popo (yellow with pink hair).
- They were together in three sets. The dolls varied in each set. Also the non-poseable dolls were in slightly different poses. Lily has her hands in her lap whereas Popo has her hands out in front of her. The majority of Fakie babies are cast from Lily, with their hands in their lap, but both types of fakies were made.
Poseable Kawaii Ponies
- Poseable Ponies -poseable!
Kawaii Ponies and Bubble Bath
- Bubble Bath Ponies -had drain holes on the bottom
Kawaii Ponies with Wagon
- Wagon Ponies -no drain hole
These keychains were released as G1 retro merchandise in G2 and only in Japan. They are very hard to find.
A small amount of merchandise was available for G3.
G4 has hit Japan, and we are waiting for Japan exclusive merch!
- G1 Bridal Friends commercial youtube