G4 Blind Bag Ponies
- This article refers to the G4 releases. For similar figurines from G3 and G3.5 see Blind Bag Ponies.
G4 Blind Bag Ponies are pony toys that take the form of fully molded figurines that approximately half the size of a Playful Pony figure. Blind Bag Ponies tend to more closely resemble the characters from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic due to their molded hair. However, like the majority of G4 merchandise, the pony's cutie mark will be featured on only one side of the flank. Similar figurines, such as the Ponyvillesets have been released as part of G3 and G3.5
The term Blind Bag Pony refers to the packaging that the majority of figurines comes in (opaque "surprise" packaging that prevents the user from determining which pony is inside), but related figurines can also be found in Sets, Collections, or as part of games and other miscellaneous merchandise. The term "figurines" will be used to refer to these groups as a whole.
- 1 Figurine Sources
- 2 Possible Prototypes & Chinese Fakes
- 3 Blind Bag Specifics
- 4 Identification
- 5 Blind Bag Waves
- 6 Collection Sets
- 7 Miniature Sets
- 7.1 Summer 2012
- 7.2 Spring 2013
- 7.3 Summer 2013
- 7.4 Autumn 2013
- 7.5 Winter 2013 - Spring 2014
- 8 Board Games
- 9 Mini Pony Collector's Guide Book
- 10 Trivia
- 11 See also
- 12 References
Blind Bag Ponies
The main source of figurines is Blind Bags, released in Waves. Blind Bag Ponies come with a matching matching collector card, featuring the name and artwork of the pony, and a brief description about the pony's personality and/or favorite activity. These cards can sometimes be found in other merchandise. In addition to the figurine and collector card, each package includes a small parts warning sheet and sometimes a colorful pamphlet.
As of October 2014, there have been:
- 11 Blind Bag waves, 15 Miniature Sets and 5 Collection Sets released so far
- 46 various molds designed
- 175 different ponies, one zebra, a gryphon, three Breezies, few second-plane characters and Smarty Pants doll represented
- 306 different, distinguishable at least in featuring character, mold, style or coloring figurines are made, 66 of which can be found only in sets or collections
Some figurines are released as a part of a Miniature Sets, including anywhere from three to six ponies. Most revolve around a specific theme. Those figurines are more likely to have unique, individual molds, rather than being recolors and thus, are more likely to be accurate to the show. Some of the molds used for these figurines have been used in later Blind Bag Waves for re-releases or as recolors for other ponies. Sets does not include collector cards.
Other figurines have been released as Miniature Collections. While Miniature Collections are similar to sets in that they involve groups of figurines, Collections usually are not arranged around a theme. Collections are packaged in groups of 4-12 ponies, some which are unique to the collection. Collections are often exclusive to certain retail chains, such as Wal-Mart or Toys R' Us and can be difficult to find. So far, only the Toys 'R Us "Pony Collection Set" has included collector cards.
Other sources of figurines includes:
- Game Pieces, e.g. Playhouse Puzzle, My Little Pony Chutes and Ladders Game or Regnbågsspelet Game
- Individual packs. The packaging allowed the buyer to see the pony they were getting. The Mane Six, with the exception of Fluttershy were released in this manner.
- 4-pack with four visible ponies. The sole release featured Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash
- 2011 Advert calendar which included Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle
- DVD releases which included Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle)
- Mini Pony Collector's Guide book which included Tealove as an exclusive release
Possible Prototypes & Chinese Fakes
Yes, they exists and numerous, so here be text :)
Blind Bag Specifics
Each wave comes out with originally designed bags (please note that Euro and US bags versions are slightly, but not significantly differs; some examples can be found in Blind Bag Waves section), so it is not hard to identify which bag relates to which wave :
Distribution pattens have varied between countries. In the US, for example, Wave I was late while Wave II was skipped entirely. In their place were some packaged ponies on cards.The initial delay spurred collectors to source their ponies from Taobao.
Later Blind Bag waves, e.g. Wave VIII, may come splitted into two sub-waves of twelve ponies each in some countries (spotted in UK for example). These subwaves have a different numbering system, and subtly different bag designs. However, there is no difference in the ponies that can be found in the sub waves in total when compared to the original wave.
When compared to the US Market, Blind Bags released in Europe markets have some minor differences such as:
- Slight differences in packaging
- Multilingual collector cards with a reduced description
- Colorful pamphlets, if they are found in blind bag, differ in art arrangement and also tend to be either mono- or multilingual, though the pony's artwork remains identical
Though Blind Bag packaging is meant to obscure the identity of each pony, collectors have discovered that each bag has a unique imprinted code that can be deciphered to reveal the identity of the enclosed pony. Several coding patterns exist and are described below in more detail.
Two Digit Codes
Early European blind bags (Wave I, Wave III at least) may have two numerals stamped on the outside of the bag on the top of the the back seam. These numbers directly corresponds to the pony's number on collector card and character numbering for each appropriate wave below.
But some of even early European waves may already have more common later Five Digit Codes though:
Five Digit Codes
Up until the Wave VIII (Neon Wave), all American and later European blind bags have a five digit code stamped on the top of the back seam. The 1st, 3rd, and 5th number are random numbers meant to obscure the identity of the pony. The combination of the second and fourth numbers serves as the pony's identification, and directly corresponds to the pony's number on collector card and character numbering for each appropriate wave below. Single digit card's numbers are written with a leading zero, e.g. 2 will be written as 02 = X0X2X, where "X" represents the random numbers.
For example, codes for US Wave I consist of :
- Pinkie Pie - 20415
- Applejack - 20425
- Rainbow Dash - 20435
- Rarity - 20445
- Twilight Sparkle - 20455
- Fluttershy - 20465
- Sugar Grape - 20475
- Lily Blossom - 20485
- Minty - 20495
- Bumblesweet - 21405
- Fizzypop - 21415
- Flower Wishes - 21425
- Roseluck - 21435
- Sweetie Blue - 21445
- Pepperdance - 21455
- Lemon Hearts - 21465
- Cherry Spices - 21475
- Sweetie Swirl - 21485
- Lucky Swirl - 21495
- Sweetcream Scoops - 22405
- Firecracker Burst - 22415
- Pinkie Pie (Glittery) - 22425
- Twilight Sparkle (Glittery) - 22435
- Rainbow Dash (Glittery) - 22445
Two Letter Codes
From Wave VIII on, coding scheme was changed: there is no longer a back seam on the package, thus, codes consisting of two capital letters are imprinted along the bottom edge of the bags.
The first letter is always "A", and only the second letter actually tells you which pony is inside. Ponies card number simply corresponds to the position in English alphabet for this second letter, skipping the letters "J" and "Q" (they are never used). For example, in Wave VIII that makes #1 Applejack's code "AA", #2 Big McIntosh's code "AB" and so on through "AZ" for #24 Twilight Sparkle.
See character images for each appropriate wave below for individual pony codes.
Blind Bag Waves
Blind Bags are released in "waves", usually 2-4 within a calendar year, starting from 2011 for G4. Each wave consists of 24 unique (for this particular wave at least) pony figurines, sharing a common style (e.g. pastel colored ponies in wave 9, bright translucent in wave 8, etc.). Special Ponies are sometimes included, such as glittery versions of Pinkie, Twi and Dashie in wave 1; glow in the dark versions of Rarity, Twilight and Pinkie in wave 3, etc. In some countries (UK for sure) later waves were splitted in two sub-waves (consists of 12 ponies each), distinguishable by slightly different bags and boxes designs.
Although ponies are not repeated inside each wave (except for the specials, which sometimes represents an already being in this wave character), some of them can duplicate figurines from earlier waves, sets or other toys. Duplicate rate is around 30% all known figurines until October 2014 are counted, considering different molds, styles and paintings for one pony as different figurines). If only Blind Bag waves I through XI are counted, the duplication rates drops to 11%. The highest proportion of re-releases consist of the Mane Six.
Each wave offers its own design for collector cards, with an exception for the first two Waves and TRU Pony Collection Set, which share the same design. So, for example, common Twilight Sparkle figurines from wave 3 and wave 5 are identical, but have differing cards.
Early Blind Bag waves consisted solely of female ponies and were recolors of the Mane 6. At this point, Unicorns were based off of Twilight Sparkle or Rarity, while Earth Ponies were based off of Pinkie Pie or Applejack. All Pegasus Ponies were recolors of Rainbow Dash, including Fluttershy, one of the Mane 6. Later waves added more variety in molds, including male Earth, Unicorn, and Pegasus Ponies, and Alicorn Ponies. Also, while some early waves featured the Mane 6 and recycled G3 ponies, later waves tend to include more supporting and minor characters from the MLP:FiM.
Release date: May 2011 at the latest<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/05/blind-bags-are-identifiable.html</ref> in Europe; much later (but at least in January 2012 they already were<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/01/blind-bag-ponies-invading-us-wal-mart.html</ref>) in USA
- The very first set of G4 Ponies
- Introduced 5 unique molds: Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Twilight and Pegasus pony (used for both Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy)
- Each bag includes a mini pamphlet with 21 out of 24 Pony's pics and names
- Style: regular painted ponies
- Specials: translucent glittery versions of Pinkie Pie (#22), Twilight Sparkle (#23), Rainbow Dash (#24)
- Glittery Twilight Sparkle had pink body color instead of purple in early European releases. While many fans desired the show-accurate purple variant then, now pink version is quite rare and sought by some of the collectors
7. Sugar Grape
8. Lily Blossom
12. Flower Wishes
14. Sweetie Blue
16. Lemon Hearts
17. Cherry Spices
18. Sweetie Swirl
19. Lucky Swirl
22. Glittery Pinkie Pie
23. Glittery Twilight Sparkle
24. Glittery Rainbow Dash
23.5. Glittery (Pink Variant) Twilight Sparkle
For identifying which pony is inside each blind bag, please see Two Digit Codes section.
- Early Alternatives for Wave I in USA
At first in the US/North America only the mane characters were released. Fluttershy at first only appeared in the US with the puzzle house (which is still quite rare), which drove her value up extremely high initially.
They have been packaged:
- as individually packed singles
- as a four pack
- as singles in a cardboard house with a puzzle
The individual on card ponies have been sold in the US, Canada, and the UK so far.
- Wave I Coming Out in USA
The first set of blind bags appeared by the box (finally) on hasbrotoyshop.com February 2012, ie officially available in the US.
It seems that some/all of the first full run of blind bags released in North America do not have their collector card number punched into the packaging. Secretly however they do<ref>http://www.toyreviewdaily.com/2012/01/17/code-number-list-my-little-pony-blind-bags-us-series-1-kiosk-ponies-2012-hasbro/</ref>. See the Five Digit Codes for details.
Release date: in August 2011 they already were<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/08/blind-bags-round-2.html</ref> in Europe; never in USA
- Re-releases the Mane 6, and now includes the glitter versions of the rest of the Mane 6 (ie Applejack, Rarity and Fluttershy). The set is about 1/3 characters that have been released as G4 full sized toys, 1/3 mane cast and 1/3 entirely new characters, but there are no new molds.
- First ever release of Cheerilee
- Each bag includes mini pamphlet with 21 out of 24 Pony's pics and names
- Style: regular painted ponies
- Specials: translucent glittery versions of Rarity (#22), Applejack (#23), Fluttershy (#24)
- 17 new figurines, including 10 completely unique ponies, 3 ponies shared with Friendship Celebration Collection (which is rare too) and Cheerilee in Applejack's mold are rather tricky to find nowdays probably because this wave was never released in vast USA market. Only Tealove can be quite easily obtained with Mini Pony Collector's Guide book today.
9. Lulu Luck
10. Star Swirl
12. Ribbon Heart
14. Daisy Dreams
17. Dewdrop Dazzle
18. Rainbow Flash
19. Pudding Pie
22. Glittering Rarity
23. Glittery Applejack
24. Glittering Fluttershy
Release date: July 2012 in USA<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/07/blind-bag-wave-3-hitting-shelves.html</ref>
- The set is the first G4 merchandise to feature male ponies <ref>http://www.bronycon.org/images/blindbags/wave3/</ref> or anything glow-in-the-dark
- First ever release of Big Mac and Lyra (listed as Heartstrings), eeyup!
- Introduced stallion mold (Goldengrape, Big McIntosh, Meadow Song and Noteworthy)
- Style: regular painted ponies
- Specials: glow-in-the-dark versions of Pinkie Pie (#6), Twilight Sparkle (#12), Rarity (#18)
3. Bitta Luck
6. Pinkie Pie (glow-in-the-dark)
7. Rainbow Dash
10. Sea Swirl
11. Big McIntosh
12. Twilight Sparkle (glow-in-the-dark)
13. Pinkie Pie
14. Apple Dazzle
17. Meadow Song
18. Rarity (glow-in-the-dark)
21. Cherry Berry
24. Lucky Dreams
Release date: May 2012 in Europe<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/05/blind-bag-wave-4-now-available-in.html</ref>; July 2012 in USA<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/08/blind-bag-wave-5-metallic-ponies.html</ref>
- And now we learned that not only Mane 6 can glitter :). But no new molds, alas.
- First ever release of Great And Powerful Someone (Trixie, yep; listed as Lulamoon). Also there is another popular pony: Minuette, more known as "Colgate" among a fan community
- Style: translucent glittery ponies
- Specials: metallic, opaque painted Rarity (#12), Applejack (#18), Pinkie Pie (#24)
It seems that starting from this wave, identification codes on European bags changed entirely to US 5-digit coding scheme<ref>http://mylittleponymadness.weebly.com/1/post/2012/05/wave-4-blind-bag-identification.html</ref>.
Stock photos from Equestria Daily.
1. Applejack (glittery)
2. Fluttershy (glittery)
3. Lulamoon (glittery)
4. Crimson Gala (glittery)
5. Minuette (glittery)
6. Royal Riff (glittery)
7. Pinkie Pie (glittery)
8. Merry May (glittery)
9. Electric Sky (glittery)
10. Chance-A-Lot (glittery)
11. Berry Green (glittery)
12. Rarity - Special Edition (metallic silver)
13. Twilight Sparkle (glittery)
14. Rarity (glittery)
15. Sassaflash (glittery)
16. Peachy Sweet (glittery)
17. Twilight Sky (glittery)
18. Applejack - Special Edition (metallic gold)
19. Rainbow Dash (glittery)
20. Mosely Orange (glittery)
21. Amethyst Star
22. Twilight Velvet
24. Pinkie Pie - Special Edition (metallic pink)
Release date: August 2012 in USA/Europe<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/08/yellow-alicorn-wave-blindbag-codes.html</ref>
- New Alicorn mold, allowing for Figurines of the Princesses. Also introducing many of G3 generation characters and a new, better colored versions of Trixie Lulamoon and Lyra Heartstrings (and they called so henceforth)
- This wave completely lacks of any Earth Ponies or Stallions, featuring only female Unicorns, Pegasus and Alicorns
- G3 generation ponies are: Breezie, Cinnamon Breeze, Diamond Rose, Flippity Flop, Gardenia Glow, Island Rainbow, Ribbon Wishes, Skywishes; ponies from G3 generation, which changed race from Earth Pony to Unicorn and some of them are very differently colored too: Golden Delicious, Forsythia, Sapphire Shores, Junebug. Also Junebug, Golden Delicious and Sapphire Shores, all appearing here as unicorn mares, really are an earth mare, earth stallion and earth mare in MLP:FiM respectively. Flitter Heart, Ploomette, Rainbow Wishes and Sunny Rays seems to be all-new ponies here (though Sunny Rays had a minor appearance in the show)
- Collector cards in this wave are yellow-colored. However, Forsythia (#21) has a pink card in European edition.
- Style: regular painted ponies
- Specials: Princess Cadance (#2), Princess Luna (#7) and Princess Celestia (#19)
Stock photos from Equestria Daily.
3. Sunny Rays
9. Rainbow Dash
10. Flippity Flop
11. Gardenia Glow
13. Trixie Lulamoon
14. Diamond Rose
15. Cinnamon Breeze
17. Golden Delicious
18. Ribbon Wishes
23. Rainbow Wishes
Release date: December 2012 in USA stores<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/12/wave-6-blind-bags-popping-up-at-various.html</ref>
- This wave consists of regular versions of the glitter toys from Wave IV, some of them with tridimensional cutie marks, Cherry Spices and Trixie Lulamoon with Twilight Sparkle's mold rather than the usual Rarity mold and Roseluck with new colors. The only new pony in this wave was #20 Magnet Bolt. No new molds.
- Style: regular painted ponies
- Specials: Twilight Sparkle (#3), Trixie Lulamoon (#9), Twilight Velvet (#10) - all with 3D, gem-stylized cutie marks
Photos from Strawberry Reef.
3. Twilight Sparkle - Special Edition (3D Cutie Mark)
8. Roseluck (new colors)
9. Trixie Lulamoon - Special Edition (3D Cutie Mark; Twilight Sparkle mold)
10. Twilight Velvet - Special Edition (3D Cutie Mark)
11. Mosely Orange
12. Berry Green
13. Merry May
14. Cherry Spices (Twilight Sparkle mold)
15. Electric Sky
16. Crimson Gala
17. Amethyst Star
18. Twilight Sky
20. Magnet Bolt
21. Royal Riff
22. Peachy Sweet
Release date: January 2013 in USA stores<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/01/blind-bag-identification-for-wave-7.html</ref>
- This wave introduced the translucent, non-glittery pony miniatures. It featured three of the Wonderbolts with unique mold, two of which were pictured on the bag's art.
- Spitfire and Soarin had their names and descriptions mistakenly switched on corresponding collector cards, though they were named correctly on the package.
- Also here is a first ever release of Bon Bon, listed as Sweetie Drops and had her tail colors switched the blue and pink strands, but nevertheless - Lyra will be happy to have a friend!
- Featuring a first stallion with mustache - Barber Groomsby
- An interesting fact that Holly Dash, whose figurine is also featured in this wave, is actually the first OC that appears in the show. She was named after her creator, one of the series animator - Holly Giesbrecht
- Style: translucent ponies with painted manes and tails
- Specials: Wonderbolt team - Misty Fly (#12), Spitfire (#17), Soarin (#23)
White background photos from 123toyuk.
7. Cherry Pie
9. Banana Fluff
10. Lilac Links
11. Cherry Fizzy
12. Misty Fly
13. Banana Bliss
14. Sweetie Drops
15. Holly Dash
16. Berry Dreams
17. Soarin according to card, actually Spitfire
18. Lucky Clover
19. Lily Blossom
20. Apple Stars
21. Barber Groomsby
22. Caramel Apple
23. Spitfire according to card, actually Soarin
24. Lily Valley
Release date: June 2013 in USA stores<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/06/neon-blindbag-identification.html</ref>
- Another translucent without glitter wave, like the previous one. Named "Neon Bright" on the box, but really there are not much style difference from Wave VII
- Seems to have a plenty of new molds and characters, but: Princess Cadance, Granny Smith, Lotus Blossom and Gilda the Griffon were presented earlier in miniature sets; Comet Tail is a new pony, but shares the same mold with Shining Armor (Pony Wedding Set)
- The only first ever released figurines here were Flim and Flam brothers, each shares a new unique mold
- Mane 6 are simply re-releases of those in previous wave, but tend to have more intense colors, with the except for Twilight Sparkle: although there ARE subtle color distinctions, but wheter figurines are placed side by side, you will notice that they really ARE very alike
- Other ponies are translucent versions of those being regulary painted in earlier waves
- Style: translucent ponies with painted manes and tails
- Specials: nope, for a change
The bags for this wave were changed so that there is no longer a center flap for the identification codes to be imprinted on. Instead, letters are imprinted along the bottom edge of the bags. Please see Two Letter Codes section for details.
2(AB). Big McIntosh
3(AC). Royal Riff
4(AD). Mosely Orange
5(AE). Gilda the Griffon
7(AG). Flim Skim
10(AK). Granny Smith
11(AL). Princess Cadance
12(AM). Golden Harvest
13(AN). Flower Wishes
14(AO). Pinkie Pie
16(AR). Comet Tail
17(AS). Rainbow Dash
18(AT). Sunny Rays
19(AU). Gardenia Glow
20(AV). Lemon Hearts
22(AX). Ribbon Wishes
23(AY). Lotus Blossom
24(AZ). Twilight Sparkle
Release date: November 2013 in USA stores<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/11/new-blindbag-set-at-hot-topic-wave-9.html</ref>
- Rainbow-themed wave, Yay!
- Big Mac appears here again, together with Fluttershy, now in her own unique mold (debuted in Elements of Harmony Friends Set), Sea Swirl with two-toned mane, Noteworthy with cutie mark on right flank (compare to Wave III), Nurse Snowherat sharing her mold with Nurse Redheart from Cake Family Babysitting Fun Set, and also Mr. Carrot Cake from the mentioned set; Amethyst Star now in Twilight mold, Shoeshine in Pinkie's mold, Peachy Sweet in AJ mold
- Berryshine suddenly becomes an Earth Pony with red eyes (compare to Wave III) and Lily Valley becomes a Pegasus (compare to Wave VII)
- Sprinkle Medley, Tropical Storm, Green Jewel, Lavender Fritter, Apple Honey, Honey Rays, Prism Glider and Grape Delight are all-new ponies in well-known molds.
- It seems that this wave hits the jackpot with the number of oddities. Already mentioned two ponies changed their race, but there is another funny thing: Prism Glider's card artwork clearly shows her as a colt, though her mold is female Pegasus pony. Also consider the description (US version): "glides across the sky with his friends!". So the gender changing is also possible, as we can see. Probably some powerful Alicorn magic, huh? :)
- Style: regular painted pastel ponies
- Specials: Rainbow Dash (#5), Rarity (#6), Princess Cadance (#12) - all painted in Rainbow accents theme. The coloring is different from those in Rainbow Pony Favorite and Daring Pony Story sets, though they came almost simultaneously and all accenting MLP:FiM Season 4 events
1(AA). Applejack (pic from different wave)
2(AB). Big McIntosh (pic from different wave)
3(AC). Fluttershy (pic from different wave)
4(AD). Pinkie Pie (pic from different wave)
5(AE). Rainbow Dash
7(AG). Amethyst Star
10(AK). Sea Swirl
12(AM). Princess Cadance
14(AO). Lily Valley
15(AP). Nurse Snowheart
16(AR). Sprinkle Medley
17(AS). Tropical Storm
18(AT). Mr. Carrot Cake
19(AU). Green Jewel
20(AV). Lavender Fritter
21(AW). Apple Honey
22(AX). Honey Rays
23(AY). Prism Glider
24(AZ). Grape Delight
Release date: April 2014 in USA stores<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/04/wave-10-blindbags-appearing-now.html</ref>
- This wave introduce us translucent glittery figurines with painted manes and tails, which deffers them from all of the previous translucent glittery releases
- It seems that toy's producers have a soft spot for Trixie. So do we :). Anyway, here is her 4-th re-release. Another notable figurines here, using recent sets molds, are Princess Twilight Sparkle, Snail Squirm with Snipsy Snap, and Strawberry Sunrise in Derpy's mold from Soaring Pegasus Set (not yet used for other characters). Lotus Blossom from Spa Pony Set was re-released also - when we will see at least one of her sister's Aloe figurine, huh?
- Style: translucent glittery ponies with manes and tails painted
- Specials: nope
2(AB). Trixie Lulamoon
4(AD). Pinkie Pie
5(AE). Green Jewel
7(AG). Sunny Rays
8(AH). Lotus Blossom
9(AI). Ribbon Wishes
10(AK). Snail Squirm
11(AL). Diamond Mint
12(AM). Princess Twilight Sparkle
14(AO). Flower Wishes
15(AP). Snipsy Snap
16(AR). Mosely Orange
18(AT). Rainbow Swoop
19(AU). Sunshower Raindrops
20(AV). Gilda the Griffon
21(AW). Strawberry Sunrise
23(AY). Royal Riff
24(AZ). Lemon Hearts
Release date: September 2014 in USA stores<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/09/wave-11-blindbag-ponies-popping-up-in.html</ref>
- Breezies, Neon Lights, Cheese Sandwich, Cloud Chaser and first-ever regular, accurate painted Spitfire! And Sunset Shimmer with Flash Sentry, yep.
- A new mold for Breezies (while their wings are made from a thick and rather strong film), but other "not common" molds are actually from recent miniature sets, and Neon Lights shares his mold with Vinyl Scratch (DJ Pon-3) from Friend Forever Collecton/Rainbow Pony Favorite Set
- Style: regular painted ponies
- Specials: Cloudia Breezie (#22), Sunny Breezie (#23), Lilac Breezie (#24)
2(AB). Pinkie Pie
3(AC). Rainbow Dash
4(AD). Sunset Shimmer
5(AE). Flash Sentry
6(AF). Big Wig
8(AH). Candy Apples
9(AI). Purple Wave
11(AL). Neon Lights
13(AN). Cheese Sandwich
14(AO). Cloud Chaser
15(AP). Pursey Pink
16(AR). Swanky Hank
19(AU). Lilac Hearts
20(AV). Royal Pin
21(AW). Ruby Splash
22(AX). Cloudia Breezie
23(AY). Sunny Breezie
24(AZ). Lilac Breezie
Release date: January 2015 in USA stores<ref>http://www.mlpmerch.com/2015/01/wave-12-blind-bags-released-and-no.html</ref>
Release date: Fall 2015 in USA stores
- Style: Glitter-embedded translucent ponies
1(AA). Twilight Sparkle
3(AC) Bitta Luck
6(AF) Rainbow Dash
7(AG) Ribbon Heart
8(AH) Sprinkle Stripe
9(AK) Sea Swirl
11(AM) Meadow Song
13(AO) Cherry Berry
14(AP) Lyra Heartstrings
16(AS) Lucky Dreams
17(AT) Pinkie Pie
19(AU) Ribbon Wishes
20(AV) Lavender Fritter
21(AW) Apple Bumpkin
Sunset Shimmer • Suri Polomare • Big Wig • Spitfire • Purple Wave • Emerald Ray (plain version?) • Flash Sentry • Rising Star • Apple Munchies • Lightning Dust • Pinprick • Violet Velvet • pale blue earth pony with magenta hair • dark pink stallion with light blue hair • lavender earth pony with dark pink hair • yellow earth pony with pink hair and purse cutie mark<ref>http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,349768.0.html</ref>
alternate colored Pepperdance
alternate colored Dainty Daisy
different colored Daisy Dreams
alternate earth G4 Forsythia
Collection Sets are all exclusive to North America. Each set is exclusive to a particular store (Target, Toys 'R Us, Walmart thus far).
- For more photos see G4 Mini Ponies and Sets.
Pony Collection Set (Toys R' Us)
Release date: August 2011 in Toys R' Us stores, USA <ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/08/pony-collection-set-sneaking-into-toys.html</ref>
- 12 ponies with collector cards
- Toys 'R Us exclusive
- Contains the Mane 6 and six new G4 characters (different from Euro Blind Bags Wave II), that are all G3 up-cycles
Friendship Celebration Collection (Toys R' Us)
Release date: May 2012 at Taobao<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/05/another-toys-r-us-blindbag-set-on-way.html</ref>
- 12 ponies with a few accessories
- Toys R' Us exclusive
- All figurines are re-releases from the first two Blind Bags Waves (9 ponies from Wave I and 3 from Wave II; no one is from Mane 6 cast)
Pony Rainbow Collection (Target)
Release date: 2012, between blind bag waves VI and VII
- 7 ponies: Mane 6 and a new stallion - Emerald Ray
- Target stores exclusive
- Translucent glittery figurines much like Wave's I and II specials, but with slight difference in appearance (see below)
The Pony Rainbow Collection versions of Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity are almost exact matches to the Wave 4 versions. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash are darker than their Wave 1 versions. Twilight Sparkle is a brighter purple than Wave 1 as well. Fluttershy is darker than Wave 4 and slightly lighter but still close in color to her Wave 2 counterpart. Applejack is darker than in both Wave 4 and Wave 2. Rarity is more opaque than her Wave 2 version. With the exception of Emerald Ray, the Rainbow Collection does not have the black numbers stamped on the bottoms of their hooves differentiating them from the other waves.
Pinkie Pie and Friends Mini Collection (Walmart)
Release date: 2012, between blind bag waves VI and VII
- 12 ponies
- Walmart exclusive
- The Applejack included in this set did not have her hair ties painted
- Not Mane 6 ponies in this collection are redesigned G3 ponies
Pony Friends Forever Collection (Toys R' Us)
Release date: June 2014 in Toys R' Us stores, USA <ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/06/pony-friends-forever-collection-heading.html</ref>
Seems to have two versions with the places for Dr. Hooves/Apple Bloom and Octavia Melody/Lyrica Lilac are swapped?
- 10 ponies
- Toys R' Us exclusive
- Vinyl Scratch and Octavia! Dr. Hooves and cute Princess Luna!
- Featuring 4 unique, not found elsewhere figurines: regular colored Dr. Hooves, regular colored Vinyl Scratch (DJ Pon-3), Princess Celestia (difference from Royal Surprise Set: cutie mark on right flank, from Blind Bags Wave V: hooves painted), Princess Luna (Cadance mold)
- Pinkie Pie coloring seems to be the same as in Pony Collection Set (tail and mane are more bluish)?
- In contrast to Cake Family Babysitting Fun Set Mrs. Dazzle Cake eyes are the show-correct red color
- For more photos see G4 Mini Ponies and Sets.
As it seems that Miniature Sets comes out in wave-style, ie a few at the same time, they arranged below in groups according to release date.
It seems that all three of those sets came out simultaneously, and was available at least in Target stores, USA in July 2012<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/07/toy-review-minature-collection-sets.html</ref>.
Pony Wedding Set
- Introduced a new, specially for her mold for Princess Cadance and featuring first-ever release of her husband, Shining Armor - also in unique new mold. Twilight figurine is common.
- First ever releases of Gilda and Wonderbolt Pony, both in new, unique mold. We can only guess which Wonderbolt member is she 'cause her name never mentioned in the set. Rainbow Dash figurine is common.
Apple Family Set
- First ever release of Granny Smith, and in unique mold, but Big McIntosh can also be found in Blind Bags Wave III, which comes roughly at the same time. Applejack figurine is common.
Spa Pony Set
Class of Cutie Marks Set
Famous Friends Set
Although often mentioned as "Deluxe Mini Collections" and not bearing the word "Set" in the title, this toys easily can be classified as just another Miniature Sets because of the same packaging style, distribution, etc.
Cake Family Babysitting Fun
Release date: July 2013 in USA stores <ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/07/cake-collection-set-and-equestria-girls.html</ref>
- Consists of six characters.
- Mrs. Dazzle Cake eyes are blue (compare to Pony Friends Forever Collection)
Elements of Harmony Friends
Release date: August 2013 in USA stores<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/08/toy-review-elements-of-harmony-friends.html</ref>
- Consists of five characters.
Pony Lesson Set
Release date: September 2013<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/09/pony-lesson-set-available-on-toys-r-us.html</ref>
- First re-release (after Wave II) of Cheerilee, now in Pinkie's mold
- Glasses have different shape and removable
Smarty Pants doll (not labeled in set)
Royal Surprise Set
- At a quick glance it may seem that the only unique figurine here is Queen Chrysalis, but (surprise! surprise!) really two other figurines has their distinctive features also: Princess Celestia has her hooves painted (compare to Wave V) and cutie mark on left flank (compare to later Pony Friends Forever Collection), Twilight Sparkle's cutie mark is glitters!
- Queen Chrysalis wings are actually transparent and looks cool
Groovin' Hooves Set
Winter 2013 - Spring 2014
Those four sets are themed around Season 4 events, and brings us all of Mane 6 in Rainbowfied coloring along with some of the second-plane, but nonetheless very loved and famous ponies. They started appearing in stores at the very end of 2013<ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/12/random-merch-rainbow-pony-set-daring.html</ref> through the spring 2014 <ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/05/soaring-pegasus-and-ponyville-newsmaker.html</ref>, while being at online stores a little earlier <ref>http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/10/toywiz-rainbow-power-daring-pony-set.html</ref> as always.
Rainbow Pony Favorite Set
- All characters in this set are colored in Rainbowfied style
Daring Pony Story Set
Soaring Pegasus Set
Ponyville Newsmaker Set
Rainbow Magic Game
Game comes with four blind bag ponies: Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy. They are common figurines found in many Blind Bags waves.
Regnbågsspelet means "The Rainbow Game" in Swedish. It came out in Sweden, with four blind bag ponies inside: Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle, and Lyra Heartstrings - all identical to those in Blind Bags Wave III.
Chutes and Ladders
My Little Pony version of the game came with three blind bag ponies to use as pieces - Princess Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash, all have coloring nuances, making them an unique figurines
Mini Pony Collector's Guide Book
First Edition published in October 2013 by Little, Brown and Company, ISBN 978-0-316-24907-2, this book offers rather comprehensive source of information for collectors, quote from the backcover: "Intended for ages 6 and up" ;). It features high-quality figurines photos, their descriptions, collector's cards pic's (both sides + separetely duplicated text), characters art and blind bags appearance examples. Also it has a "Pony Checklist" for each figurine/Set/Collection, so you can check there figurines you already have. In addition, it includes rare Tealove figurine from Blind Bags Wave II.
The Book has an unusual format, where pages occupy only about 2/3 of the actual cover size, whereas at the top plastic figurine holder situated. The holder can be easily opened (two halfs of it are bonded by adhesive tape), so the figurine can be pulled out and back at the owner's discretion.
This edition covers Blind Bags, Collections, and Sets released at the time of publishing, with some exceptions (see below). The Waves numbering are differs from that adopted on most collector's Internet sites (and also in this article), but matches those used by many vendors.
- What you WILL find in this book
- Wave I (named "2011/Wave 1"): comprehensive description (figurines, cards, etc.)
- Wave II (named "European Blind Bags"): brief description (small figurine photo + front side of the card + cutie mark art only) only for 8 figurines (Star Swirl, Tealove, Ribbon Heart, Daisy Dream<ref>It is not a mistake, exactly "Dream" in the book (on card photo also).</ref>, Stardash, Honeybelle, Rainbow Flash, Pudding Pie)
- Wave III (named "2012/Wave 1"): comprehensive description (figurines, cards, etc.)
- Wave IV (named "2012/Wave 2"): comprehensive description (figurines, cards, etc.)
- Wave V (named "2012/Wave 3"): comprehensive description (figurines, cards, etc.)
- Wave VI (named "2013/Wave 1"): comprehensive description (figurines, cards, etc.)
- Wave VII (named "2013/Wave 2"): comprehensive description<ref>Soaring and Spitfire are not misplaced, card's photos without mistake also! And Spitfire's figurine has cutie mark on left flank?!</ref> (figurines, cards, etc.)
- Wave VIII (named "2013/Wave 3"): comprehensive description (figurines, cards, etc.)
- Miniature Sets - Pony Wedding, Spa Pony, Cloudsdale, Class Of Cutie Marks, Apple Family, Famous Friends, Pony Lesson, Royal Surprise, Groovin' Hooves, Cake Family Babysitting Fun, Elements of Harmony Friends: only figurines photos mostly, sometimes unopened sets photos also
- Pony Collection Set: comprehensive description (figurines, cards, etc.)
- Friendship Celebration Collection, Pinkie Pie & Friends Mini Collection, Pony Rainbow Collection: figurines (including accessories for Friendship Celebration Collection) and unopened collections photos only
- Tealove figurine
- What you WILL NOT find in this edition
- Full Wave II description, some ponies are not even mentioned
- Some curious nuances, like glittery pink variant of Twilight Sparkle figurine in Euro Wave I, etc. Anyway, current edition seems to focus on US releases mostly
Pony's cutie marks can rarely undergo minor appearance changes in re-releases: [here be pictures]
Some background ponies shares the same cutie mark:
- Amethyst Star and Purple Wave
A few not vastly involved in MLP:FiM ponies have had their race altered due to mistakes in later waves:
- Berryshine: Unicorn (Wave 3) -> Earth Pony (Wave 9)
- Lily Valley: Earth Pony (Wave 7) -> Pegasus (Wave 9)
- Blind Bags (all generations)
- Collector Cards (cards included in blind bags)
- Enterplay Trading Cards
- G4 Mini Ponies and Sets